I ate these for a week(!) during a big training block and they ensured I got the fuel I needed with added nutrients.
1 cup pitted dates
1/2 cup prunes
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup coconut, shredded unsweetened
1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
1/2 cup oats
1 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Blend dates and prunes in food processor until they make a ball on their own.
2. Add all other ingredients to the food processor until it makes a mostly uniform glob. You may need to add water to make everything come together (depending on how dry your dates are). Mix with a rubber spatula to get all contents evenly mixed.
3. Smoosh glob into a wax paper lined baking dish and the glob is about 3/4 inch thick.
4. Place in freezer for a few hours.
5. Cut into squares to your liking.
Notes: The batter will taste like what it’s going to taste like in bar form, SO, add more spice, maple syrup, peanut butter, or whatever other ingredients you want to get it to taste like what you like. The key is to taste good as it is good to eat a lot of calories during big days you will be eating these bars.